We all know that taking care of your skin during the day is important – that exfoliating, cleansing, toning and moisturising are key to ensuring clear, healthy, youthful-looking skin. But did you know that a night-time routine is just as vital for keeping your skin in flawless condition? Take a look.
- Remove your make-up. It’s the first rule of night-time skincare – never go to bed with your make-up still on! While you might be able to get away with this in your teens, leaving your make-up on can lead to clogged pores and a build-up of bacteria on your skin. To avoid this, remove your make-up nightly with a gentle make-up remover, being careful not to tug at the sensitive area around your eyes.
- Apply a cleanser. Once you’ve removed your make-up, give your face that clean, fresh feeling by applying a cleanser. Pat your face dry when done, rather than rubbing vigorously, in order to preserve your skin’s elasticity.
- Reach for the toner. It’s just as important at night as it is during the day, especially when it comes to wiping away any lingering product, removing impurities, and balancing your skin’s pH levels. After patting your skin dry, apply your toner by pressing a small amount onto your face (rather than rubbing it in with cotton), and leave the product to settle into your skin for a minute or two.
- Try adding serum. If you can afford it, a serum is a hugely valuable next step in your skincare routine, one that will help keep you hydrated throughout the night. Find one that best suits your complexion, and look forward to glowing, regenerated skin.
- Finish off with a night cream. While applying oil after your serum can help to combat clogged pores and oily skin, if you’d prefer to skip this step, go straight to your night cream. Apply a thin layer to seal in your other night-time products and add extra hydration, and get a good night’s sleep – also a key step in keeping your skin clear, supple and healthy.