Find out how to bake your own little Easter bunnies with this easy biscuit recipe. More than scrumptious baked goodies, these little treats are tonnes of fun to decorate, so you can make them with the kids for some quality holiday time together. Divide the icing into as many colours as you want so you and your little ones can get as creative as you wish with these yummy Easter treats. Why not double up on the recipe to make some extra for family and friends as gifts?
For the biscuits:
125 g butter, softened
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tsp. vanilla essence
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. full cream milk
For the icing:
2 cups icing sugar
1 large egg, just the white
1 tsp. water
Food colourings, of your choice
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a small bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and egg and mix until well combined.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and add it to the butter mixture.
- Add the milk and stir until mixed through.
- Roll the mixture into a large rectangle and cut into the appropriate shapes.
- Place the bunnies on a baking tray and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, swapping trays over in oven after 10 minutes, or until light golden.
- Allow biscuits to cool on trays for 5 minutes.
- Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool completely before icing them.
- To make the icing, combine all the ingredients into a bowl. Separate into different bowls if you are adding food colouring to each batch.
- Divide the icing into piping bags and decorate the biscuits as desired.
- Allow to set before serving.
1. Just add water to the icing mixture if it is too thick.
2. The icing mixture will keep for up to 2 days in the refrigerator.