The Rice Krispies Treat recipe – a childhood favourite and absolute classic – has just been given an Easter makeover. These sweet goodies are incredibly simple to prepare and will add some exciting variety to your usual marshmallow Easter eggs. This is definitely a great Easter idea for kids. They can even lend a hand while you prep it, making it a great way to have fun making an Easter snack over the holidays. If you’re looking for more of a challenge try our Chocolate Nested Cake recipe.
For the Krispies:
¼ cup unsalted butter
800 g marshmallows
4 cups Rice Krispies
4 cups chocolate Rice Krispies
Plastic Easter eggs
Melted chocolate, to use as glue for the eyes
Chocolate drops, for the eyes
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until melted completely.
- Remove from heat, then add rice cereal and stir until well combined. You can do this in separate colours or combine to make both types of Krispies.
- Lightly coat interior of the plastic eggs with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
- Fill both sides of the plastic egg with rice cereal mixture, slightly over-filling one side.
- Press chocolate egg in the center on one side of the egg, then close the plastic egg to shape it. (It should be full enough to meet with a little resistance as you close it.)
- Gently release the rice cereal egg from the mold, decorate with your choice of chocolate drops and set aside until set completely.
If mixture is too sticky, you can also spray your hands with non-stick cooking spray.