Zanele’s Apple Strudel
1. Preheat oven to 180 ºC. In a pot, add apples, sugar, cinnamon, raisins and water.
2. Let it simmer until it reduces and becomes thick. Set aside to cool.
3. Roll out the puff pastry, then cut along the edges to create finger-sized strips.
4. Place the apple mixture in the middle and braid the pastry over the filling.
5. Beat your remaining egg with a fork, then brush the pastry with it and bake for 30 – 40 minutes.
6. Once cooked, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool. For the drizzle, combine icing sugar and lemon juice, then drizzle the mixture on top.
Apple Strudel Tip
Don’t overcook the filling. The apple must still be crunchy, as it gives the dish great texture.
For the filling:
- 6 apples; peeled, deseeded and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon powder
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups water
- 1 egg, for egg wash
For the drizzle:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 125 ml lemon juice
- 1 packet puff pastry