Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Instant cash savings on your groceries
- Free airtime deals on products you love
- VIP access to exclusive promotions
- Automatic competition entries
All the prices and specials will be from this store.
If this isn’t your nearest Shoprite, you can select another store below.
Here’s a unique idea to add some South African flavour to your meal – a braai pap pizza base made from easy-to-prepare maize meal. Topped with smoked peppers, tomatoes, cucumber and more, it’s a delicious addition to every braai as a starter or a side dish, and makes great use of coals to give the vegetable salad an unbeatable aroma. The cheese sauce is a fresh, tangy addition to the veggies that really binds the whole dish together.
Pair this simple side dish with our juicy pork ribs.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Grease baking sheets with margarine or non-stick spray.
2. Whisk together the oil, eggs and buttermilk. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
3. Divide the mixture into 4 and spoon onto the baking sheets. Bake for 15–20 minutes or until just cooked through.
Method for the Cheese Sauce:
1. Mix all the ingredients together.
Method for the Vegetable Salad:
1. Prepare hot coals in a kettle braai. Put the whole garlic bulb on a large sheet of foil. Drizzle with a little oil and sprinkle with salt.
2. Wrap the garlic in the foil and put the parcel on the grid, away from the hot coals. Leave for about 30 minutes or until caramelised.
3. Sprinkle the rooibos leaves over the coals and move the coals to one side.
4. Put the peppers, skin side down, directly over the coals so the skins blacken.
5. Cover the braai but check often to stop the flesh of the peppers burning. Remove the peppers from the heat, place in a plastic bag and leave to cool.
6. Place the remaining vegetables on the grid but not directly over the coals.
7. Cover and smoke for 5–10 minutes or until soft but not mushy. Transfer to a bowl.
Method for the Dressing:
1. Mix the ingredients and pour over the vegetables.
2. Marinate for at least 15 minutes.
3. Remove the skins from the peppers, cut the flesh into fairly large pieces and add to the other veggies.
1. Put a pizza base on a plate and stack the veggie salad and rocket leaves on top.
2. Serve with the cheese sauce and braaied garlic on the side.
Smoked Veggie Salad & Braaied Garlic: