Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Instant cash savings on your groceries
- Free airtime deals on products you love
- VIP access to exclusive promotions
- Automatic competition entries
All the prices and specials will be from this store.
If this isn’t your nearest Shoprite, you can select another store below.
Making a corned beef tongue is easier than you think – and probably more delicious! The long cooking time makes for a really tender and flavourful piece of meat, which is perfectly finished with a tangy mustard sauce – perfect for a Christmas dinner.
1. Place the ox tongue and other ingredients into a large pot, then add enough cold water to cover the meat.
2. Bring to a boil, then cook with the lid on for 30 minutes per kilogram of meat, plus an extra 30 at the end.
3. The tongue is fully cooked when it is soft and easily pierced with a knife.
4. When done, remove tongue from pot and allow to cool slightly.
5. Strain the vegetables from the cooking water and reserve this stock for the mustard sauce.
6. When tongue is cool enough to handle (but not totally cold), remove skin from tongue and unwanted bits at the base of the tongue.
7. Allow the tongue to cool overnight, covered and refrigerated.
1. Melt the butter in a pot over a low heat, then add mustard powder and flour, stirring constantly.
2. Add your stock and milk slowly, stirring and allowing liquid to absorb before adding more.
3.When the sauce has incorporated all the liquid and thickened slightly, add the wholegrain mustard and season to taste.