Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Instant cash savings on your groceries
- Free airtime deals on products you love
- VIP access to exclusive promotions
- Automatic competition entries
All the prices and specials will be from this store.
If this isn’t your nearest Shoprite, you can select another store below.
One delightful layer of flavour after the other, there’s nothing like our Easter Trifle recipe. One of the best things about this traditionally festive treat is that it can easily become an Easter dessert.
You can make it your own by changing layers to suit your taste. We’ve given this variation a generous dose of creamy caramel and divine chocolate chunks, which really sets it apart for the Easter weekend.
Feel free to substitute the fruit cocktail pieces with any of your favourite fruit and, if you want to add a bit of kick to the dessert, simply drizzle sherry over the finger biscuit layer. Just don’t use too much, though – the biscuits are best if they’re still crisp.
If you’re feeling adventurous, why not try one of our other easy dessert recipes?
Make red and green jelly in separate glass bowls as per packet instructions and set in the fridge for about 2 hours.
1. Pack trifle ingredients in single layers as follows:
- First layer: Red jelly
- Second layer: Boudoir biscuits
- Third layer: Half of the caramel
- Fourth layer: Half of the fruit cocktail pieces
- Fifth layer: Half of the custard
- Sixth layer: Half of Bar-One chocolate pieces
- Seventh layer: Green jelly
2. Repeat all the layers as many times as your bowl allows.
3. Top with whipped cream or Orley Whip.
4. Garnish with crumbled Flake chocolate and a few sliced strawberries.
Tips & Variations
• Replace tin of fruit cocktail with 4 to 6 large sliced bananas.
• Add lemon juice to prevent bananas from turning brown.
• Drizzle Old Brown to taste over Boudoir biscuits.
• Replace tinned fruit with seasonal fresh fruit.
• Any chocolate can be replaced with your favourite.
• Prepare red jelly in your most beautiful 750 ml parfait glass bowl and layer the rest of your trifle ingredients on top of it.
• Serve the trifle in jars as a decorative twist.