Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Instant cash savings on your groceries
- Free airtime deals on products you love
- VIP access to exclusive promotions
- Automatic competition entries
All the prices and specials will be from this store.
If this isn’t your nearest Shoprite, you can select another store below.
If you’re intimidated by a crispy pork belly, don’t be – it’s simpler than you think! This delicious pork belly roast is ideal for a Sunday lunch, Christmas dinner or any occasion that calls for an indulgent pork roast.
1. The night before you make your slow roasted pork belly, you can rub it with seasoning, so it has time to soak up the flavours.
2. Place the pork belly skin side up on a flat surface, then score it lightly from one side of the meat all the way to the other, making sure not to cut the meat – only the skin and fat.
3. Repeat this cut every 1 cm or so all the way across, then repeat this from the other side so that you end up with a criss-cross pattern.
4. Once you’re done scoring the meat, mix the seasoning together in a small bowl, then rub this mixture all over the pork belly (you don’t need to use all of it, just enough for the pork belly to be covered).
5. Let this rest and absorb the flavours for a few hours or overnight.
6. When you’re ready to cook, preheat your oven to 180 °C. If you want to add some extra flavour to your roast, peel and cut a few onions or apples in half, then place cut side down into the bottom of your roasting dish.
7.Brush off any excess seasoning, then place your pork belly in its roasting dish (on top of the apples or onions, if using) and add to the oven.
8. Roast for about 11/2 to 2 hours (meat juices should be running clear), then turn your oven up to 220 °C and roast until the skin is crisp on top.